Skip to content
Swahili Language Resources
- Module 1: Political and Social Issues (Intermediate): Teacher Version and Student Version.
- This module focuses on speaking, writing, and communicating about politics, history, and other social issues in the context of East Africa. The six units which are covered in this module are: Geography, History, Politics, Economics, Weather, and Education in East Africa. The teacher version is basically a guide on how the teacher should implement the lessons and assess learners’ performance.
- Module 2: Family, Community, Traditions (Intermediate): Teacher Version and Student Version.
- This module is designed to help students develop the ability to talk and write about a variety of issues related to family and community in East Africa and their own communities. The module has six units: Childhood memories, Oral traditions among Swahili speakers, Moving to the city, Renting an apartment, Weddings in East Africa, and East African holidays.
- Module 3: Religion (Advanced Low)
- This module uses the general topic of religion in East Africa to give students the opportunities and skills needed to achieve Advanced Low Proficiency on the ACTFL scale.
- Module 4: Job Preparation (Advanced Low)
- This module is designed to enable students to attain the Advanced Low proficiency level of ACTFL in Swahili. Students will learn to talk and write about the future plans, desired professions and research plans. In focusing on these important issues, this module also encourages students to use a variety of technologies. This module has five units: Higher education in East Africa, Choosing an academic major, Life in university, Scientific Research, and the Job market.
- Module 5: Preparation for Study Abroad (Intermediate High): Teacher Edition
- This module is intended as part of the preparation for study abroad. Several aspects of East African cultures are discussed in order to familiarize the student with life in the region and with the language that is used in the appropriate contexts. It exposes the student to images, texts, conversations, vocabulary, grammar, and situations that they will likely encounter in their East African sojourn. The module is organized into six units: Homestays, Shopping, Phone services, Travelling, Entertainment, and Campus Life.
- Module 6: Gender & Sexuality (Advanced Mid)
- This module, Jinsia na Mapenzi Afrika ya Mashariki (Gender and Sexuality in East Africa), is designed to help you reach the Advanced Mid level of Swahili proficiency on the ACTFL scale.