- Program Description
- Submit Your Pre-Proposal
The Big Ten Academic Alliance Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTL) and Indigenous Languages Partnership at Michigan State University, funded by the generous support of a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, is inviting proposals related to Anishinaabemowin from groups having a strong connection to an Indigenous community and/or academic language programs in the Michigan and Great Lakes region.
A goal of LCTL and Indigenous Languages Partnership is to inventory existing materials and respond to language programming needs as identified by the Indigenous community. The number of activities/projects that the LCTL and Indigenous Languages Partnership will be able to support will vary. Awards for proposals will range from $2,500 to $10,000, although smaller projects may be considered. If your project is not ready this round of funding, there will be additional calls for proposals announced through 2022.
Awards will be subject to approval from the Mellon Foundation and must comply with Michigan State University regulations. The funding agreements will be processed through MSU.
April 30, 2020DEADLINE EXTENDED to May 15, 2020 – Pre-proposals due by 10:00 pm (EDT)
- June 1, 2020 – The Wewaawiindamojig (Advisory Circle for the Partnership) will review the pre-proposals and invite some full proposals. We anticipate communication by this date.
- July 31, 2020 – Full proposals due (for those invited to submit full proposals)
Project Period: Tentatively October 1, 2020 – August 31, 2021
The Wewaawiindamojig will consider many different aspects of the proposals for funding. Some criteria guidelines are as follows:
- Proposals from groups with a strong connection to an Indigenous community, and/or academic language program are a priority
- Overall quality and feasibility of proposal, including budget/programming that fall within funding and risk management parameters
- Outcomes and benefits for Indigenous community involved
- Innovative and original materials
- Sustainability plans beyond Mellon funding (How will you keep the efforts/impact of the project going past the funding period?)
- Dissemination plans of project (How will you share the results/resources of your project with the broader community?)
Submit Your Pre-Proposal
When you are ready to submit your pre-proposal, click the “submission portal” link below, which will take you to a form where you will fill out the following information:
- Briefly characterize your project.
- Is it a language event (immersion weekend/activity)? travel to record speakers? a teaching tool (book/instructional video)?
- Abstract – A short summary (no more than 500 words or one page) describing your project, the outcomes and benefits to Anishinaabemowin language learning and the community. Include the size of the group that will benefit.
- Contact information for the project, names of proposed collaborators
- Total funds with short description of how you think the money will be used. Please keep in mind the budgetary considerations, below.
Costs that will not be funded:
- Basic equipment purchases above $500.
- Computers, phones, iPads, etc.
- Construction projects and permanent fixtures such as signage
- Alcohol, semaa (tobacco)
- Scholarships, tuition, or financial aid
- Food and catering costs are allowable, but must be related to an event.
Zoom Q&A Sessions
The Indigenous Community Outreach Liaison will hold three open Q&A sessions on Zoom for interested parties who wish to discuss the grant or their project proposals.
- April 9, 2020 at 3pm Eastern
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://msu.zoom.us/j/646977329
- By phone: +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) Meeting ID: 646 977 329
- April 14, 2020 at 10am Eastern
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://msu.zoom.us/j/580645962
- By phone: +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) Meeting ID: 580 645 962
- April 23, 2020 at 3pm Eastern
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://msu.zoom.us/j/700004197
- By phone: +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) Meeting ID: 700 004 197
- April 30, 2020 at 3pm Eastern
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://msu.zoom.us/j/94477618506
- By phone: +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) Meeting ID: 944 7761 8506
Please direct any questions or any issues with the application form to: